The senseless massacre of 17 bright young people on February 14, 2018 is the latest in an appalling roster of school shootings—and only one of many other acts of annihilation—not just on school campuses but at festivals and in theaters, shopping malls, grocery stores, bars and restaurants, administrative buildings, public transit, abortion clinics, and individual homes. This is an assault on individual and community health and well-being, which can only exist in an atmosphere of safety, not in a cultural war-zone. We believe that no civilian should be allowed to purchase military weaponry. An automatic weapon in the hands of a disturbed individual of any age does not constitute a “well-regulated militia.” Therefore,
- We support a national ban on automatic weapons and any accessories that enhance their operation.
- We support raising the age for purchasing any gun to 21.
- We support a comprehensive background check for anyone who wishes to purchase a gun of any kind under any circumstances, whether online, in stores, or at gun fairs and other promotional events.
- We support requiring a substantial waiting period before a buyer attains possession of the purchased weapon.
- We support increasing the number of trained mental health professionals in every school, so that troubled youth can be helped in time to prevent further tragedies.
- We support arming teachers—NOT with guns, but with books, art supplies, assistants, smaller classroom sizes, better pay and benefits, and appreciation for the difficult work that they do in helping us raise our children.
- And finally, we support education based upon truth, no matter how painful that truth may be, so that our youth can grow up safely to become well-informed, wise, and responsible adults in a country guided by the principles of its founders and not by corporate greed.
For more information about Orenda Healing International #NeverAgain
See OHI website